November 7, 2018
Improving Quality of Life
- Now Recruiting Research Participants
- Research Team
- Research Partners
- Research Funders
- OICC Research
- Evidence-Based Monographs
- Conference Presentations
Changing how we live with cancerDonate Today!
29 Bayswater Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 2E5View Location Map
Dugald Seely, ND
Integrative Oncology Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Kanji S, Seely D, Yazdi F, Tetzlaff J, Singh K, Tsertsvadze A, Tricco AC, Sears ME, Ooi TC, Turek MA, Skidmore B, Ansari MT. Interactions of commonly used dietary supplements with cardiovascular drugs: a systematic review. Syst Rev. 2012 May 31;1(1):26.
- Fritz H, Seely D, Kennedy DA, Fernandes R, Cooley K, Fergusson D. Green Tea and Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review. Integr Cancer Ther. Epub 2012 Apr 24
- Kennedy DA, Cooley K, Einarson TR, Seely D. Objective assessment of an ionic footbath (IonCleanse): testing its ability to remove potentially toxic elements from the body. J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:258968. Epub 2011 Nov 29.
- Fritz H, Kennedy D, Fergusson D, Fernandes R, Cooley K, Seely A, Sagar S, Wong R, Seely D. Selenium and lung cancer: a systematic review and meta analysis. PLoS One. 2011;6(11):e26259. Epub 2011 Nov 4.
- Seely D, Wu P, Fritz H, Kennedy DA, Tsui T, Seely AJ, Mills E. Melatonin as Adjuvant Cancer Care With and Without Chemotherapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Trials. Integr Cancer Ther. 2011 Oct 21.
- Fritz H, Kennedy D, Fergusson D, Fernandes R, Doucette S, Cooley K, Seely A, Sagar S, Wong R, Seely D. 2011 Vitamin A and Retinoid Derivatives for Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta Analysis. PLoS ONE 6(6): e21107.
- Dugoua JJ, Wu P, Seely D, Mills E. Astralagus-containing Chinese herbal combinations for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A meta-analysis of 65 clinical trials enrolling 4,751 patients. Lung Cancer: Targets and Therapy 2010. 1:85-100
- Kennedy DA, Seely D. Clinically based evidence of drug-herb interactions: a systematic review. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2010 Jan;9(1):79-124.
- Leung B, Seely D. Guidelines to case report writing for naturopathic doctors. International Journal of Naturopathic Medicine. 2009 June; 4(1):50-4.
- Kennedy D, Lee T, Seely D*. A comparative review of thermography as a breast cancer screening technique. Integr Cancer Ther. 2009 Mar;8(1):9-16.
- Seely D, Oneschuk D. Interactions of natural health products with biomedical cancer treatments. Curr Oncol. 2008 Aug;15 Suppl 2:s109.es81-10.es86.
- Balneaves LG, Weeks L, Seely D. Patient decision-making about complementary and alternative medicine in cancer. Curr Oncol. 2008 Aug;15 Suppl 2:s94-s100.
- Brazier AS, Balneaves LG, Seely D, Stephen JE, Suryaprakash N, Taylor-Brown JW. Integrative practices of Canadian oncology health professionals. Curr Oncol. 2008 Aug;15 Suppl 2:s110.es87-91.
- Seely D, Kennedy DA, Cheng FC, Chang KK, Leonard BJ. An in vitro analysis of the herbal compound Essiac. Anticancer Res. 2007 27:6B:3875-3882.
- Seely D, Stempak D, Baruchel S. Potential interactions between natural health products and chemotherapy, a strategy for prevention: A review in pediatric oncology. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2007 Jan;29(1):32-47.
- Seely D, Mills E. Diagnostic accuracy among the allied health professions: commentary on grace et al. J Altern Complement Med. 2006 Sep;12(7):701-2.
- Leonard BJ, Kennedy DA, Cheng FC, Chang KK, Seely D, Mills E. An in vivo analysis of the herbal compound Essiac. Anticancer Res 2006 Jul-Aug;26(4B):3057-63.
- Stempak D, Seely D, Baruchel S. Metronomic dosing of chemotherapy: applications in pediatric oncology. Cancer Invest. 2006 Jun-Jul;24(4):432-43.
- Mills EJ, Seely D, Rachlis B, Griffith L, Wu P, Wilson K, Ellis P, Wright JR. Barriers to participation in clinical trials of cancer: a meta-analysis and systematic review of patient-reported factors. Lancet Oncol, 2006; 7(2):141-148.
- Mills E, Seely D, Wu P, Guyatt GH. Melatonin in the treatment of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J of Pin Res. 2005 Nov;39(4):360-6.
- Seely D, Mills E, Wu P, Verma S, Guyatt GH. The effects of green tea consumption on incidence of breast cancer and recurrence of breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Integr Cancer Ther. 2005 Jun;4(2):144-55.
Relevant Book Chapters and Reports:
- Leis A, Sagar S, Verhoef M, Balneaves L, Seely D, Oneschuk D. Shifting the paradigm: from complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) to integrative oncology. Cancer Control, edited by Elwood JM and Sutcliffe SB. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK; 2010. ISBN: 978-0-19-955017-3
- Leis A, Verhoef M, Boon H, Balneaves L, Seely D, Oneschuk D, Sagar S, Weeks L. Canadian Cancer Society. Complementary Therapies. A guide for People with Cancer; 2009. (Member of the CCAM Research Team who collaborated with the Canadian Cancer Society to produce this booklet.)
- Seely D, Fernandes R, Young S. Flame Retardants and Cancer Risk. Encyclopedia of Cancer and Society, edited by Graham A. Colditz. 3 vols. 1190p. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2007. ISBN: 978-1-4129-4989-7
- Seely D. Ch 21: Naturopathic Medicine. Textbook of Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2nd ed. Yuan CS, Bieber EJ, Bauer BA (editors) Parthenon Publishing, UK; 2006. ISBN: 1-84214-297-6
Integrative Oncology Related Manuscripts and Book Chapters:
- Weeks L, Balneaves L, Paterson C, Verhoef M. Complementary and Alternative Medicine Decision-Making by Cancer Patients: An Integrative Literature Review. Open Medicine (in press).
- Weeks L, Seely D, Degrasse C, Verma S, Boon H, Verhoef M, Stacey D. Developing an operational model for an integrative oncology program: a qualitative descriptive feasibility study. Support Care Cancer. 2013 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print] (IF=2.649)
- Weeks LC, Seely DM, Balneaves LG, Boon HS, Leis A, Oneschuk D, Sagar SM, Verhoef MJ. Canadian integrative oncology research priorities: Results of a consensus-building process. Curr Oncol. 2013;20(4): e289. (IF = 1.625)
- Seely DM, Weeks L, Young S. A Systematic Review of Integrative Oncology Programs. Curr Oncol. 2012 Dec;19(6):e436-61. (IF = 1.625)
- Furlan A, Yazdi F, Tsertsvadze A, Gross A, Van Tulder, M, Santaguida L, Cherkin D, Gagnier J, Ammendolia C, Ansari M, Ostermann T, Dryden T, Doucette S, Skidmore B, Daniel R, Tsouros S, Weeks L, Galipeau J. Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Back Pain II. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 194. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. October 2010.
- Furlan AD, Yazdi F, Tsertsvadze A, Gross A, Van Tulder M, Santaguida L, Cherkin D, Gagnier J, Ammendolia C, Ansari MT, Ostermann T, Dryden T, Doucette S, Skidmore B, Daniel R, Tsouros S, Weeks L, Galipeau J. Complementary and alternative therapies for back pain II. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep). 2010 Oct;(194):1-764.
- Moher D, Weeks L, Ocampo M, Seely D, Sampson M, Altman DG, Schulz KF, Miller D, Simera I, Grimshaw J, Hoey J. (2011). Describing reporting guidelines for health research: a systematic review. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 64(7), 718-742. (IF = 5.332)
- Walji R, Weeks L, Cooley K, Seely D. (2010). Naturopathic Medicine and Aboriginal Health: An Exploratory Study at Anishnawbe Health Toronto. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 101, 475-480. (IF = 1.399)
- Weeks L, Strudsholm T. (2008). A scoping review of research on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) and the mass media: Looking back, moving forward. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 8, 43: (doi:10.1186/1472-6882-8-43).
- Balneaves L, Weeks L, Seely D. (2008). Patient Decision-Making about Integrating Complementary Therapy in Cancer Care. Current Oncology, 15, S24-S30.
- Leis A, Weeks L, Verhoef M. (2008). Principles to Guide Integrative Oncology and the Development of an Evidence Base. Current Oncology, 15, S8-S12.
- Weeks L, Verhoef M, Scott C. (2007). Presenting the alternative: cancer and complementary and alternative medicine in the Canadian print media. Supportive Care in Cancer, 15, 931-938.
- Verhoef M, Weeks L, Brazier A, Leis A. (2007). Evaluating supportive cancer care: Are we missing an opportunity? Supportive Care in Cancer, 15, 905-907.
- Verhoef MJ, Ware MA, Dryden T, Gignac P, Weeks L, Kania A, Ferguson L, Mallory D, Xu T, Brazier A. (2007). Getting the measures you need: the IN-CAM Outcomes Database. Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies, 12, 170-171.
- 7. Verhoef MJ, Vanderheyden LC, Dryden T, Mallory D, Ware MA. (2006). Evaluating complementary and alternative medicine interventions: in search of appropriate patient-centred outcome measures. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 6, 38. doi:10.1186/1472-6882-6-38.
- Verhoef M, Vanderheyden L, Fønnebø V. (2006). A whole systems research approach to cancer care: why do we need it and how do we get started? Integrative Cancer Therapies, 5, 287-292.
- Verhoef MJ, Vanderheyden LC. (2006). Combining qualitative research methods and randomized controlled trials in CAM intervention research. In Adams, J. (Ed). Researching Complementary and Alternative Medicine. London, New York: Routledge. p. 72-87.
- Boon H, Verhoef M, Vanderheyden L, Westlake K. (2006). Complementary and Alternative Medicine: A Rising Public Health Issue that Needs to be Addressed. Healthcare Policy, 1, 19-30.
- Vanderheyden L, Verhoef M, Scott C, Pain K. (2006). Evaluability Assessment as a Tool for Research Network Development: Experiences of the Complementary and Alternative Medicine Education and Research Network of Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation, 21, 63-82.
- Vanderheyden LC, Verhoef MJ, Hilsden RJ. (2005). The Role of Scientific Evidence in the Decision to Use Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Evidence Based Integrative Medicine, 2, 19-20.
- Leis A, Verhoef M, Boon H, Balneaves L, Seely D, Oneschuk D, Sagar S, Weeks L. Canadian Cancer Society. Complementary Therapies. A guide for People with Cancer; 2009.
Voices of Support
“I applaud the OICC’s commitment to being a leader in integrative oncology research. From interactions with mutual patients, I realize that the clinical care provided by the OICC has real value to the people under our care, and that this care can and should be expanded to others. With the research that we’ve done together already and the approach you take in science and clinical care, I believe the OICC will achieve great prominence as a valuable resource for patients.”
Latest Blog Posts
February 21, 2018
December 20, 2017