June 16, 2017
- Now Recruiting Research Participants
- Research Team
- Research Partners
- Research Funders
- Evidence-Based Monographs
- Conference Presentations
Changing how we live with cancerDonate Today!
29 Bayswater Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 2E5View Location Map
Our research program is guided by an emerging framework for integrative oncology research in Canada.
Through consultations with cancer patients, health care administrators, practitioners and researchers, the OICC is leading the development of this framework which intended to guide the development of integrative oncology practice and policies in Canada.
Currently we have several ongoing studies that fit within the emerging research framework, and are actively working to develop others with the ultimate goal to advance the practice of integrative oncology in Canada. Our ongoing studies fall within two main areas:
- Safety, Effectiveness and Cost of Complementary Therapies
- Developing and Evaluating Integrative Oncology Models
At the OICC, we are committed to studying the safety and effectiveness of complementary treatments used by people living with cancer. We have several ongoing clinical studies and systematic reviews in this area including:
- The Canadian/US Integrative Oncology Study (CUSIOS). Advanced integrative oncology treatment for patients with advanced stage cancer. Funded by a Canadian foundation that wishes to remain anonymous.
- The Thoracic Peri-Operative Integrative Surgical Care Evaluation (POISE) Trial: (The Thoracic POISE Trial). Funded by a Canadian foundation that wishes to remain anonymous.
- Adjuvant Melatonin in the Prevention of Recurrence and Mortality Following Lung Cancer Resection: A Randomized Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial (AMPLCaRe). Funded by the Lotte and John Hecht Memorial Foundation and the Gateway for Cancer Research.
- Adjuvant Melatonin in the Prevention of Recurrence and Mortality Following Lung Cancer Resection: A Phase II substudy of Randomized Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial. Funded by the Gateway for Cancer Research Foundation.
- Natural Health Products and Breast Cancer: A Series of Systematic Reviews. Funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
- Natural Health Products and Lung Cancer: A Series of Systematic Reviews. Funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
- A patient centred decision aid for women with a history of breast cancer who are considering natural therapies to help control their hot flashes.
At the OICC we are committed to ensuring our model of care is informed by the latest research evidence, and to also evaluating the care we offer to people living with cancer. We have several ongoing studies to explore the development and evaluation of unique integrative oncology models, including the OICC model and others in operation internationally:
- A Systematic Review of Integrative Oncology Programs. Funded by the Lotte & John Hecht Memorial Foundation.
- Integrative Cancer Care in the Ottawa Region: Perspectives of Health Care Providers, Patients and their Families. Funded by the Lotte & John Hecht Memorial Foundation.
- Towards Integrative Cancer Care: A Participatory, Formative Evaluation of Practitioner Integration at the Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre. Funded by the Canadian Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Fund.
Voices of Support
“I applaud the OICC’s commitment to being a leader in integrative oncology research. From interactions with mutual patients, I realize that the clinical care provided by the OICC has real value to the people under our care, and that this care can and should be expanded to others. With the research that we’ve done together already and the approach you take in science and clinical care, I believe the OICC will achieve great prominence as a valuable resource for patients.”
Latest Blog Posts