November 7, 2018
Improving Quality of Life
Programs & Events
- Living with Uncertainty Support Group
- Babes4Breasts Head Start Program for Women with Breast Cancer
- Head Start Ongoing Monthly Meeting
- A Year to Live Workshop Series for Healthcare Practitioners
- 6-Week Mindfulness Based Program
- Monthly Memorials
- Gentle Yoga Classes Every Friday
- Guided Meditation Download
- Monthly Events Calendar
- News & Events
- Training & Education
Changing how we live with cancerDonate Today!
29 Bayswater Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 2E5View Location Map
Cancer Navigation - Understanding Available Resources and Choices
Cancer navigation is a service designed to help answer the question “what now”? at any stage of living with cancer.
For many patients who are struggling to understand their treatment options and what resources are available to them in their community and beyond - a navigator can help them to feel less alone and confused.
Sessions typically help patients to develop a better understanding of what conventional, complementary and alternative options are available, and what they mean relative to their own definition of health. Navigation assists people in understanding the “cancer system” – how to optimize their experiences within that system, and how to advocate for themselves. A framework for decision making is developed and supported, and patients receive assistance in accessing resources in the community. This service is available for patients as well as their caregivers to deal with some of the more practical challenges of dealing with cancer.
Navigation provides guidance around such issues as:
- What do I do if my oncologist is not supportive of complementary approaches?
- How do I decide if a treatment is right for me?
- How can I communicate more effectively with my doctors?
- Does a palliative referral mean that I am dying?
- Is it possible or in my best interests to get a second opinion?
- What is the Maplesoft Centre? Maycourt ? Bruyere? CCAC?
- How do I connect with other people who may have similar fears? Strengths?
Cancer Navigation sessions are led by Psychotherapist, Jennifer Turner.
This service is available for patients as well as their caregivers to deal with some of the more practical challenges of dealing with cancer.
Individual or multiple sessions are possible.
Please contact OICC Reception to book a session at 613-792-1222.
Latest Blog Posts
February 21, 2018
December 20, 2017